I have been using the plugin FeedWordPress for quite a while now to aggregate all of the feeds for all on my sites together into a single feed. From there I take that feed and then repost it back on each site. This way I get some cool cross-pollination between all on my sites.
You can see the aggregated site at network.idano.net.
A while back the links on this main feed started to link back to itself as opposed to the original site that the post came from. I figured out after a while that if I manually updated the network site that the links would be OK. While this was a work around it wasn’t very cool because it was completely manual.
A couple of days ago the developer of FeedWordPress came out with an update and I was optimistic that it would solve my problem.
Unfortunately it did not.
So here I am now trying to figure out why these links work correctly when I manually update but do not when they update themselves automatically.
One thing that I noticed is that when I update automatically several custom fields are created for the individual post. They are not for the automatic posts. These custom fields are:
In that list the syndication_permalink is the items that links directly to the original post on the original site.
In reading throw the documentation on the FeedWordPress site there is a built in filter that is supposed to change the_permalink() to the_syndication_permalink(). There are only two reasons why I can think that this is not happening.
- The meta data is not being collected for each post when done automatically so if the fields are empty then it just uses the default the_permalink().
- The theme is somehow causing issues. Again, the data looks like it is not being collected so that may not be the issues.
In the mean time I have switched to the default Kubrick theme to see if that makes a difference.